Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mi Companero

My six weeks in Ecuador and Colombia exceeded all my expectations. Maybe we were just lucky, but we didn't experience any difficulties. We kept up a good pace and made the most of our time. We saw a lot. I feel pretty familiar with Ecuador and Colombia. I want to go back. They are both great countries, but with big differences. Ecuador is more compact and easier to get around. There may be more to see, and I liked the food better (more seafood and fruit). But there is something very charming about Columbia. It has more wide open spaces. The Colombianos are so warm and helpful. Ecuadorians are jaded because they see tourists all the time. But Colombians seem grateful that you are visiting their country, and they show it.

I was fortunate to have a great traveling companion in my son Daniel. His Spanish skills put us in closer contact with people we met, something that really enriched the trip for me.

There is a word they use a lot in S. America: "tranquilo." It's an adjective meaning calm or peaceful -- tranquil -- but it's used a lot too as an imperative, meaning something like "chill." When you are traveling in unknown territory, and feeling your way along, it is a great virtue to be tranquilo. Daniel was unfailingly tranquilo and reminded his dad to be tranquilo too, when he needed a reminder.

Thanks Daniel. It was great traveling with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment