Thursday, May 3, 2012

Buying Shoes

I guess I should have known that the inexpensive pair of slip-on shoes I brought for this trip would give out.

They were comfortable and had thick soles, but with all the up and downhill walking on cobbled streets and dirt roads, the soles finally started to separate in front.

Since Daniel and I were back in the Minorista market today, we thought we could see what one of the many used shoe sellers could do for me. It was a lot of fun. The sales staff at this stall was a mother and her two daughters.

I wear a size 12, which is big, I guess, in South America. So it was hard to find shoes that fit.


After trying on a bunch of sneakers they produced these classic old leather Nikes that fit like a glove. Sold!

We bargained the cost down a little bit and I probably still paid a little too much: about $20.

But we had lots of fun kidding around and they worked hard to make the sale.

The youngest girl mentioned that I could make some money by selling my broken shoes. In a magnanimous gesture, Daniel made her a gift of my old shoes. I hope she gets a few bucks for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment