Friday, April 20, 2012

Pasto Street Scenes

We like Pasto.

I think we are going to stay here three nights. This is our street, Calle 18. Colombia has a very rational street numbering system with calles going one way and carreras going the other way, all numbered consecutively.

This would work great except that actual street signs are rare. I think there is a way to figure out the street from the addresses on the building, but we are still working on that.

Here is Calle 18 going the other way.

The streets in the centro are narrow but cars and motorcycles drive fast anyway.

You have to be careful.
Here is a the giant Plaza de Carnaval a couple blocks from our hostal.

When I first saw it I wondered what they were thinking to make such a huge empty plaza. Then I realized it serves one purpose -- to host the apparently huge Carnaval de Blancos y Negros in January.

I think its time the City of Austin, Texas, build one of these for my friend Mike Quinn's Carnaval Brasileiro.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! Get on that lobbying task with the mayor of Austin!!!! I'll pay you! In guinea pigs!!!!

    ReplyDelete