Sunday, May 13, 2012

Steam Train to the Salt Cathedral (Part 2)

The "tren turistico," as it is called, was a party on wheels.

There were food and drink vendors coming up and down the aisles. Daniel even got a breakfast tamale without having to leave his seat.

Best of all there was music. There were three different bands walking up and down the train and playing one or two tunes in each car.

These old guys were playing very traditional Columbian music. A lot of folks in our car knew all the words and were singing along. There was a singer, accordian player, trumpet, sax, snare drum and bass drum. They rocked our little train car.

This was my favorite group, consisting of a very good button accordion player who also sang and a guy who played a percussion instrument that was like a guiro, but was just a ridged stick and not a gourd (my friend he Sambamaster can probably tell us what it's called). He also sang. And there was also a conga drummer. They were amazing. I wished they were selling a CD like one of the other groups.

So we had live music all the way up to Zipaquira and all the way back.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great time. I think that instrument is probably a guacharaca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you might be right Janet. But I think he was using a screwdriver to play it and not the wire fork thing I saw when I looked this up on Wikipedia.

    ReplyDelete