Monday, May 14, 2012

blaa (Part 2)

Of course the Arango Library is a fabulous library, but being a librarian myself, I can always find things to criticize, right?

I think this is a very traditional and conservative library that places a high value on protecting the books for the ages. As more of a research library and less of a public library, maybe that's okay. But how many libraries in the States get library bindings for all their books anymore. Not many.

I wonder if they even considered more open stacks when this building was designed not that many years ago.
I was also miffed that they would not let me take photographs except on the main floor.

When I tried to take a picture in one of the subject rooms a security guard came over to tell me it was forbidden. Why?

They also really go overboard with the "Silencio" thing here, with signs on the walls, on the tables, and even on the staircase.

I guess I should cut them some slack, because this is an old library by South American standards and it is run by a bank. It has not evolved to the degree that we are used to in the States. Maybe they will loosen up in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment